Hiking around Kathmandu valley, Shivapuri Nagarkot hike passes through the Shivapuri National Park forests include chir pine, alder, cherry and oak on drier southern slopes and along streams while mixed oak, laurel and rhododendron forests cover the wetter northern slopes. Many medicinal herbs grow at higher elevations.
Animals found in this region include civet, golden jackal, black bear, barking deer, rhesus monkey, langur, pangolin, squirrel and pika as well as 318 different bird species and several bat species at the Nagarjuna Cave. Numerous trails have been opened in the reserve and our route, much of it through shaded forest, offers great view of the Langtang Range to the north from high ground.
This hike begins at Sundarijal, a southern entrance to the park, and rises 400m to the village of Mulkharka and the Sundari Mai Temple. It then contours along a ridge, through forest before rising to cross the Borlang Bhanjyang and descend to Chisapani from where the southern peaks of the Langtang Region rise on the skyline.
The trek from Chisapani to Nagarkot Trek follows a track south east through the park to Manichaur on the border and then continues through friendly villages set in terraced farmlands to the overnight stop. Nagarkot has a cheese factory that is worth a visit. There is a viewing tower south of the town that offers excellent early morning views of the Ganesh Himal and Langtang ranges to the north. The site provides the excellent view of the Mount Everest.
What's included ?
- Accommodation in Chisapani on best possible hotel and Nagarkot, 3 star category hotel, full board meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) as per the itinerary
- Bottled Mineral water during the trek
- Shivapuri National Park Entry fees, local entrance fees, etc.
- Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) registration fee
- First aid kit for comprehensive medical supplies
- Overland transport by private jeep as per the itinerary
- Three meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) and seasonal fresh fruit after every dinner
- Qualified and experienced trekking guide and porter services
- Transportation, accommodation, meal allowance, equipment and insurance for trekking staffs
- All the official paper work and all the applicable government taxes
- Sleeping bag, down jacket, duffel bag, trekking poles if required
- Farewell Dinner with typical local cultural program
What's not included ?
- Personal expenses and bar bills
- Clients’ travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 01: Drive Kathmandu to Sundarijal, approx., 1 hr. & trek to Chisapani (2160m) approx., 4/5 hrs. walkAfter breakfast drive to Sundarijal 15 – 20 km to eastern valley of Kathmandu, approx., an hour of scenic drive by private jeep. The trail starts off up concrete beside the drinking water pipeline to Kathmandu valley through military check point along the large typical Tamang village Mulkharka. (1800m).Trail continues climb through the Shivapuri Watershed and Wildlife Reserve along the pine, rhododendron and oak forest. Last part an hour descends right after the pass Borlang Bhanjyang (2460m). Overnight at Chisopani.
Day: 02: Chisopani – Nagarkot (2175m), approx., 6-7 hrs. of gentle trekTrail follows untraffic off road through the deep forest with superb view of valley including Mt. Dorje Lakpa and Jugal Himal range. Walk between the village and forest continue along the terraced farming filed finally brings us to hill city Nagarkot 2175m. This spot provides an excellent view of the sunset and sunrise and Mount Everest can be seen farther distance on a clear day. Overnight at Nagarkot.
Day 03: Nagarkot – Kathmandu by scenic drive, approx., 2 hrs.Early morning we will have the breathtaking sunrise view over the snow-capped Himalayas with Ganesh himal range, Manaslu range, Lantang range, Dorje Lakpa, Jugal Himal and Everest range make fantastic start of the day. After breakfast, we will have a jeep drive back to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.