The Lower Dolpo trek lies in far western part of Nepal in The Shey-Phoksundo National Park. This trek is in restricted area and a special permit is needed to trek here. The trek is a hard one so you need to be physically strong. The focal point of the trek is the Shey Phoksundo National Park, a remote, rugged and protected area with fantastic scenery and a wealth of fascinating ancient cultures. The park is home to some extremely rare animals and plants not found anywhere else in the country.
Basically the trek is to travel a circuit with the focal points being Shey Phoksundo lake and the Tarap valley. Just east of Tarakot the trail swings north to follow the Tarap Valley for two days crossing and re crossing the Tarap Khola (river) before reaching Dho Tarap. This valley contains many old relics of religious significance with many Bonpo (a religion that pre dates Buddhism) and Buddhist temples.
Dho Tarap (4000 mtrs) is an ideal location to spend some time. Magars and Gurungs mostly inhabit the flat upper valley floor along with the Tibetans they share the valley with. From Dho Tarap two high passes must be climbed over in order to reach Ringmo and Phoksundo Lake. The crossing can be made in two days but may need to be extended if there are unfavourable weather conditions.
Phoksundu is quite a large crystal blue lake fed by glaciers that stretch down to its shores. Time is spent here admiring the beauty that includes wonderful forests along with a three hundred meter waterfall. A further two days are spent trekking back to Juphal airstrip
Important Note and Optional Activities
All the trekking itineraries are flexible and can be revised in order to best meet your requirements i.e. your time, interests etc. Please make contact with us if you have any special requirements or interest.
What's included ?
- Accommodation in Kathmandu on bed and breakfast basis as per the itinerary
- City tour in Kathmandu with guide by private vehicle
- Entry fees when sightseeing in Kathmandu
- National Park Trekking/Entry Permit
- Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) registration fee
- Round trip / internal flights / overland transport / if needed / as per the itinerary
- Accommodation in guest houses/lodges during the trek
- Three meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) a day during the trek, a cup of tea / coffee and seasonal fresh fruit after every dinner
- Qualified and experienced trekking guide and porter services
- Transportation, accommodation, meal allowance, equipment and insurance for trekking staff
- All the official paper work and all the applicable government taxes
- Airport transfers for internal flights
- Sleeping bag, down jacket and rucksack if required
- Farewell Dinner with typical local cultural program
- Airport pick-up on arrival and drop-off on departure
What's not included ?
- Meals other than breakfast when staying in hotels
- Personal expenses and bar bills
- Clients’ travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 01 : Arrival in Kathmandu. Warm welcome and receive at airport and transfer to Hotel. Introductory Program and briefing about the trip
Day 02 : Sightseeing Kathmandu valley which includes the visits to many historical and architectural monuments, Temples, Stupas
Day 03 : Fly Kathmandu to Nepalgunj. Overnight at Hotel
Day 04 : Fly Nepalgunj to Jumla (Early in the morning) and Trek to Ghotichaur
Day 05 : Trek Ghotichaur to Chutra
Day 06 : Trek Chutra to Chaurikot (3000m)
Day 07 : Trek Chaurighot to Kaigaun
Day 08 : Trek Kaigaun to Garpung Khola
Day 09 : Trek Garpung Khola to Kagmara phedi
Day 10 : Trek Kagmara phedi to Kagmara pass (5115m) to Pungmi Kharka
Day 11 : Trek Pungmi Kharka to Shey-Phoksundo Lake (3600m)
Day 12 : Rest day at Shey-Phoksundo Lake for acclimatization and excursion
Day 13 : Trek Shey-Phoksundo Lake to Baga~La phedi (5090m)
Day 14 : Trek Baga~La phedi to Baga~La (5090m) pass to Num~La phedi
Day 15 : Trek Num~La phedi to Num~La pass (5190m) to Tarap (4040m)
Day 16 : Trek Tarap to Dho
Day 17 : Trek Dho to Big cave (3600m)
Day 18 : Trek Big cave to Lahini (3200m)
Day 19 : Trek Lahini to Tarakot (2800m)
Day 20 : Trek Tarakot to Dunai (2150m)
Day 21 : Trek Dunai to Juphal (2500m)
Day 22 : Fly from Juphal to Nepalgunj and again fly from Nepalgunj to Kathmandu.